Country Guide: Algeria
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport
- Change of Residence Certificate issued in the origin country, stamped by the Algerian Consulate (3 copies)
- Detailed inventory issued in the origin country, signed, valued and stamped by the Algerian Consulate (3 copies)
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Letter of Employment
- Copy of Resident Permit / Receipt of Application for Resident Permit
- Packing list
- Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)
- Radiation Certificate
- A Radiation Certificate from the consular services abroad must also be provided.
- Duty and tax exemption are only granted if valued inventory is less than 20,000 Euro.
- One shipment only is authorized duty free (1 by sea and 1 by air, maximum).
- All documents must be in French.
- Customer must be present for Customs purposes.
- Duty-free importation is only granted for a certain period; an extension must be applied to avoid penalties.
- Imported household goods must be re-exported when leaving the country (non-Algerians).
- Change of Residence Certificate must prove time abroad of at least 3 years and must be stamped by the Algerian Consulate at origin (returning citizens).
- A Diplomatic Franchise can be obtained by the Diplomatic Mission in Algiers (Diplomats).
- Copy of Change of Residence Certificate, stamped by Customs
- Original Registration Card and Non-sale Certificate (3 copies)
- The maximum allowable engine power is 10 HP.
- Restrictions apply regarding importation of vehicles (age, power, etc.); contact agent for details.
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Vaccination Record
- All cats and dogs imported into Algeria require a Veterinary Health Certificate and proof that the animal is vaccinated against rabies.
- Appliances and electronics (one item each permitted duty free); invoices and receipts stating make, model and serial numbers are required on the Detailed Inventory.
- Firearms, explosives and ammunitions
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Illegal drugs
- Precious metals
- Plant and plant products
- Pets and animals (authorization prior to import is required)
- Pornographic material
- Gold and jewelry
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.