Country Guide: Malaysia
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Detailed inventory in English, dated and signed by the shipper
- Copy of Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Full contact information of shipper in Malaysia
- Letter of Employment / Copy of Work Permit
- Copy of Malaysian ID (Malaysians only)
- List of Electrical Items
- List of Additional Items (include detailed information for books, VCDs, DVDs, CDs, etc. included in shipment)
- Customs Declaration
- Diplomatic Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (obtained by the Embassy – Diplomats)
- ISPM 15 Fumigation is required for all wooden packaging materials at origin country prior to import.
- All used household goods and personal effects used and owned by shipper for more than 6 months may be imported into Malaysia duty free.
- Items less than 6 months old are subject to Customs duties and taxes.
- Some entry ports in Malaysia may require an Electrical Board Permit for all electrical goods.
- The List of Electrical Items must include the item name, model, make, serial number and year of purchase (Not required for port of entry Port Kelang).
- The Diplomatic Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs takes approximately 7-10 business days to obtain; check with agent regarding requirements to be included in the letter.
- Original Passport (and 1 copy)
- Original Registration proving ownership (and 1 copy)
- OBL / AWB
- Original Insurance Policy in country of origin proving use (and 1 copy)
- Letter from shipper requesting permission to import a motor vehicle
- The shipper must apply for one Import Permit per vehicle with the Ministry of International Trade and Industry in Kuala Lumpur prior to import. The shipper can only import a motor vehicle if approved.
- All Motor Vehicles imported attract high import duties and taxes.
- Import duties where the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value is less than RM 20,000.00, is approximately 170% – 300% and subject to taxes of approximately 10% – 20%.
- Certificate of Vaccination
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- The Veterinary Health Certificate must be issued 7 days prior to departure and state that the animal has been free from rabies during the preceding 6 months.
- Cats and dogs are subject to quarantine for 30 days or more, unless imported from Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or Ireland.
- Detailed information regarding the transport of animals must be provided to the destination airport prior to departure, including the type and number of pets.
- Space must be reserved for quarantine in advance of arrival.
- Liquor, wine and tobacco (a special Import Permit is required and is difficult to obtain); these items are subject to high import duties and taxes.
- The following items may qualify for free import if within the indicated limits:
- Cigarettes (200), tobacco (225 g)
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Books, VCD, DVD, CD, etc. (subject to censorship screening on arrival). A screening fee will be charged directly to shipper.
- Narcotics (the death penalty is given for drug trafficking)
- Non-branded drugs
- Firearms, gas pistols, electric shock batons, stun guns (and similar weapons), ammunition and explosives (flares incorporating a barrel, etc.)
- Indecent or obscene video cassettes, DVDs, films, books, magazines and other articles
- Flick knives, butterfly knives and certain other offensive weapons, including some martial arts weapons
- Counterfeit currency
- Radio transmitters, walkie-talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones, etc. (an Import Permit is required)
- Meat and poultry; many other animal products; check with agent.
- Plants and plant produce including trees and shrubs, potatoes and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulbs and seeds
- Animals and birds, whether alive or dead (egg. stuffed), parts and articles derived from protected species, including furs, skins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from them.
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.