Moving to Spain

Country Guide: Spain-Madrid

Spain Flag

Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Copy of Passport
  • Detailed inventory, valued and signed in Spanish
  • Original Certificate of Change of Residence (“Baja Consular”) issued by the Spanish Consulate at origin
  • Spanish Resident Card / Work Permit
  • Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
  • “Alta de Empadronamiento” issued by the local authorities of the place of residence in Spain
  • Application form for duty-free importation
  • Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)

Specific Information

  • Household goods are duty free if meeting the following conditions:
    • Goods are owned and used by shipper for a minimum of 6 months
    • The shipment is imported into Spain within 12 months after shipper`s arrival
    • The shipper must have lived abroad for a minimum of 1 year
  • If a Spanish Residence permit is not available, a Bank Guarantee between 40% and 60% of the total value declared in the inventory and the presentation of the Work Permit will be required for Customs clearance.
  • The Bank Guarantee will be returned when regularization is completed within 6 months upon presentation of the permit.
  • Shippers must be registered at the National Tax Office / Revenue Service; if a shipper has not obtained a Residence Permit, the shipper’s employer, company or a person already registered at National Tax Office must represent the shipper at Customs clearance.
  • Shipper must obtain Diplomatic Franchise from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, which takes approximately 2-3 weeks.

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • Original vehicle Purchase Invoice
  • Original documents of the car (e.g., Certificate of Title and Registration, insurance, etc.)
  • Two physical tracings of the chassis number

Specific Information

  • Vehicle must have been used by shipper for a minimum of 6 months.


Documents Required

  • Vaccination Record
  • International Health Certificate

Specific Information

  • Pets must be identifiable through microchip or a tattoo.
  • Muzzles are required for dogs in some areas of Spain; check with agent for specific locations.
  • Pets subject to examination by a Customs veterinarian.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Fur coats may undergo Customs examination.
  • There are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco imported from countries in the European Union; however, Customs is more likely to investigate if bringing more than the quantities indicated:
    • Cigarettes (800), cigarillos (400 or 3 g each), cigars (200), smoking tobacco (1 kg)
    • Spirits over 22% (10 L), spirits under 22% (20 L), Wine (90 L but no more than 60 L of sparkling wine), beer (110 L)
  • The following items may qualify for imported by persons 18 years and older within the limits indicated:
    • Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), smoking tobacco (250 g)
    • Alcohol exceeding 22% volume or un-denatured ethyl alcohol 80% volume and over (1 L), alcohol not exceeding 22% volume (2 L), still wine (4 L), beer (16 L)

Prohibited Items

  • Firearms and ammunition (permit is required)
  • Antiques (permit is required)
  • Liquor and alcohol (small quantities)
  • Pictures, sculptures, Persian carpets and other art items
  • Protected species and products made from them per the Washington Convention (CITES), such as ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, etc.

Consignment Instructions

Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.

IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.

Helpful Website(s):