Country Guide: Sri Lanka
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Passport with Residence Visas
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Packing list
- Detailed inventory
- Duty Free Certificate of Clearance signed by employer, if applicable
- Bank Guarantee, if applicable
- Documents should be received by the destination agent at least 3 days prior to shipment arrival. Full-container-load shipments take approximately 3-4 business days for Customs clearance provided all documents are received by the destination agent in advance of shipment.
- On the detailed inventory, all electrical items and furniture should be individually priced and the total value should not exceed USD 1000.00 per shipper.
- The shipper should be present for Customs clearance.
- All applicable frees must be made prior to clearance of the cargo.
- Goods should not exceed more than USD 1000.00 per shipper.
- Only one electrical item of any kind is permitted.
- It is important that the cargo arrives after the shipper has obtained the Residence Visa.
- Refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and home theaters are not considered household goods.
Note: Vehicles may be imported only under certain conditions. Contact the destination agent for specific information prior to import.
- Certificate of Title / Registration
- Purchase Receipt
- Appropriate application forms (contact the destination agent for correct form)
- Vehicle must be right-hand drive.
- There are many conditions under which a motor vehicle may be imported. It is essential that a shipper contact the destination agent to verify the correct applicable form and required vehicle criteria for import.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Import Permit
- Authorization from the Director General of the Department of Animal Production and Health (DAPH) must be obtained prior to the import of a live animal.
- Pets are subject to examination upon arrival.
- Pets accompanied by their owners are easier to clear than pets traveling via cargo; if a pet travels by cargo, a tax identification number (TIN) may be necessary.
- The Import Permit must be obtained at least 2 weeks prior to importation from the Director General, Department of Animal Production and Health and valid for 90 days from the date of issue.
- Dogs and cats are subject to a quarantine period of 30 days in the owner’s residence, identified on the Quarantine Surveillance Agreement. The owner’s full address and telephone number must be identified on the form.
- Satellites, remote control equipment, telephones and fax machines (special approval should be obtained prior to shipment arrival. An operation manual should accompany each item.
- Pornographic materials
- Anti-religious materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.