Country Guide: Taiwan
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Scanned copy of owner’s Passport photo page (picture must be clear and legible)
- Scanned copy of the Entry Stamp, dated within the last 6 months
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Inventory list / Packing list in English
- Shipper’s arrival flight details matching Entry Stamp into Taiwan
- Customs Declaration Form (foreigners)
- Scanned copy, front and back, of the shipper’s Taiwan ID (national citizens)
- Household goods and personal effects cannot be cleared prior to the owner’s arrival in Taiwan.
- All shipments are subject to inspection, excluding diplomatic shipments. Shipment arrival must be within 6 months of entry into Taiwan by the owner. Used household goods and personal effects normally are entitled to be cleared duty / tax free if full documentation is presented to Customs.
- For air shipments, advise agent of all related information such as AWB number, number of packages, weight, and contact name and number of company. The average time for clearance after arrival is 2-3 working days.
- Wooden lift vans loaded as a full container load (FCL) in sea shipments must be indicated on the OBL “CY to CFS” to avoid delays in Customs inspections. Otherwise, there will be an additional charge of USD 250 for trailer from CY container terminal yard to CFS terminal warehouse for inspection plus USD 12.50/per CBM for CFS charge and USD 8/CBM for Customs terminal fee.
- Containers cannot be delivered port-to-door, except for diplomatic shipments. Containers must be unloaded at the customs bonded warehouse for inspection. After customs clearance, shipment will be transported to the residence by truck/van. The average time for clearance is 3-4 days for sea shipments.
- All untreated wood (e.g., lift vans and crates must be fumigated using ISPM 15 standards).
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Certificate of Title (original Title required for environmental testing)
- Copy of Taiwanese ID (nationals)
- It is advised that vehicles not be imported in non-diplomatic shipments.
- Used automobiles can be imported by pre-arrangement with an Import Permit issued by the Board of Foreign Trade before shipping to Taiwan.
- All vehicles must pass an environmental test performed by the Taiwanese government; otherwise it will be returned to origin at owner’s expense.
- Vehicles not manufactured for the Taiwan market may not pass inspection.
- Vehicles must use unleaded gasoline and be left-hand drive.
- Copy of Owner’s Passport
- Photographs of animal (6 prints, 4” x 6”)
- Certificate of Health from origin country
- Vaccination Record, must include rabies
- A quarantine period is required upon arrival.
- Only one of the following items may be imported per family:
- Stove and refrigerator
- Washer and dryer
- Air conditioners and dehumidifiers
- Television sets, stereos, amplifiers, turn tables, speakers, tape decks, receivers, video players
- Duty rates for electrical items range from approximately 5% to 19.2% of the assessed value.
- Wine and liquor (maximum 5 L may be imported by sea only).
- Alcohol under 20% will be charged tax at NTD 7.00 / per percent.
- Alcohol over 20% will be charged NTD 185.00 / L.
- Duties for wine and liquor depend on the type of alcohol as follows:
- Wine 40%
- Sparkling Wine / Champagne 20%
- Whisky Free
- Beer Free
- Non-perishable food items can be imported in small amounts in sea shipments only.
- Food is subject to duty if the amount is too large for inclusion in a sea shipment.
- Food cannot be sent by air.
- Firearms, swords, long knives, and ammunition
- Narcotics and non-branded drugs
- Any item considered to be detrimental to public interest and national security
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.