Relocating to Canada from the United States

Cross border moving

King’s Transfer Van Lines can make your move a hassle-free experience. Our cross-border moving company offers professional moving services that take care of packing, shipping, and unloading of your precious belongings of most major cities in the States.

Trust the professionals at King’s Transfer to help you navigate the complex nature of moving to another country. We have the experience and know-how to prepare and organize all of the right documentation you need to ship your belongings safely over the border.

Preparing for Your Canadian Move

Household items are cleared in person at Canada Customs in or near your destination city, like Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver. Moving companies may have to show the shipment owner’s passport and work visa to the Canada Border Services Agency.

Upon presenting these documents to the border agency, the moving company must wait for you to meet your moving representative at the closest Canada Customs facility for final clearance. Until then, your goods cannot leave the border.

Remember to bring the following documents with you when you show up at Canada Customs:


Returning Canadian Residents

  • Valid passport for every family member
  • Proof of time away from Canada (lease agreements, utility bills, pay stubs, etc.)
  • Detailed manifest of all household goods, including their value
  • Sales receipts for items bought outside the country (if declaring new goods)
  • Completed, signed, and stamped B4 form
  • Completed and signed E24 form


Non-Residents of Canada

  • Valid passport for each family member
  • Valid visa showing ability to work/study/live in Canada
  • Offer/letter of employment
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Detailed manifest of all household goods, including their value
  • Completed, signed, and stamped B4 form (if your permit is for 36 months, plus 1 day)
  • Completed E24 form


Seasonal Residents

  •  Valid passport
  • Proof of ownership or lease of Canadian property
  • Proof of U.S. residency (property deed or lease)
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods, including their value (in duplicate)


Do I Need a Visa to Move to Canada?

All American citizens who wish to live and work or attend school in Canada must possess a valid visa. Visas are not necessary for American citizens intending to travel to and within Canada for up to six months. Failure to follow proper legal procedures will likely result in a deportation.


Duties and Taxes

If you owe duties, fees, or taxes, you’ll have to pay these amounts before your goods can be released. Cash, personal cheques, and major credit cards are accepted. If you are a Canadian citizen returning to Canada, you must pay duties on any items purchased over $10,000, including your vehicle.


Importing Alcohol

Alcohol cannot be transported with your household goods.


Importing Wine and Spirits

Contact the appropriate Canadian provincial or territorial Liquor Control Board before shipping your wine or bar collection. Taxes on these items must be paid before arriving at customs, and you must show proof that these amounts have been paid before your goods can be released. For the appropriate Liquor Control Board authority contact information, call us!


Bringing Your Car to Canada

 All motor vehicles must adhere to Canada’s safety and emission standards, as well as meet provincial requirements. If your car is older than 15 years, you may be able to import it temporarily with a special provision.

To ensure your car is admissiable, contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV): 1-888-848-8240. You will need to provide the following:

  • Information about your car, including the year, make/model, vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Proof of ownership: certificate, bill of sale, registration, and insurance papers.

If you’re planning on staying in Canada for 36 months or less, the above rules may not apply. Contact us for more details.

United States Customs must be notified of your intent to export your vehicle. Forward a copy of your title of ownership or bill of sale to U.S. customs at least three business days before you arrive at the border. If you’re hiring a company to ship your vehicle, you must arrange these details with them. To learn more, click here.


Exporting Firearms to Canada

 Canada has very different laws regarding firearms. Canadian gun owners must possess a Possession and Acquisition Firearm license. Before shipping your guns or other weapons to Canada, become familiar with the federal regulations regarding gun ownership.

Before you arrive at the border with your firearms, you must request permission to bring them into Canada. Upon your arrival at the border, you will be obliged to present proof that you are allowed to own a firearm. All firearms must be declared at customs; failure to do so may result in weapon seizure and possible criminal charges.

If you’re a Canadian citizen returning to Canada with Canadian firearms, you must show proof that these weapons were previously exported.

Not all firearms are allowed into Canada. The following weapons are prohibited or restricted:

  •  Assault rifles
  • Carbines
  • Semi-automatic weapons
  • Automatic weapons
  • Combat shotguns
  • Explosives

For more information, please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre.


Bringing Your Pets to Canada

 Bringing your beloved pets is possible, however, you must carry the proper documentation and proof that all animals are up-to-date on their shots. Dogs older than eight months and cats older than three months must be vaccinated against rabies at least 36 months before entering the country. Ask your vet for your pet’s vaccination certificate.


Helpful Contact Information

 Canada Border Services Agency

(506) 636-5064 or (204) 983-3500

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Toll-free: 1-888-242-2100
(416) 973-4444 or (604) 666-2171

Click here for a list of Canadian Consulate or Embassy offices in the United States.