How to Save Money on a Move
Finding ways to save money for a move can lighten the load on your mind that moving often imposes. Whether moving across town or across the country, relocating is often riddled with unexpected costs.
Fortunately, you can curb expenses with a few key tips. A little planning will go a long way to keep costs down and reduce financial stress.
Here are some ways to lower expenses during a move:
– Get rid of possessions you don’t use. It costs money to move them. Hold a garage sale or give them away to a charity.
– Consider your appliances. If you are taking major appliances, account for professional servicing or installation costs. It may not be worth the cost of moving old appliances needing frequent repairs.
– Try to use up perishable foods beforehand. Either eat or give away food in your pantry, refrigerator and freezer. You can restock after the move.
– Don’t move things you’ll throw away at the new address.
– Don’t fail to pre and post inspect most of your possessions for damage, especially furniture or breakable objects. This may be difficult to do while also supervising placement of the stream of furniture and boxes coming off the truck, but prompt reporting helps minimize disagreement about the mover’s responsibility for any damage.
– Don’t opt out of buying moving insurance. Contact your insurance company for advice and special coverage, if needed.
King’s Transfer Van Lines is a full-service provider of both commercial and residential moving in Canada. Contact us to schedule your move today. 1-800-267-2957.