Whether you’re expanding your business, relocating to a better facility, or simply moving on from your current lease, office relocation is quite common in Canadian cities. It can be as difficult or as easy as you make it, however, there are some definite ways to facilitate your move, keep your employees happy, and prevent any interruption to your daily operations. Here are the do’s and don’ts of office relocation, courtesy of King’s Transfer Van Lines:
- Give your employees plenty of warning. Even if you’re only relocating down the street, they still have to adjust.
- Remove all items from office desks, filing cabinets, credenzas, and bookcases. Everything should be empty before moving onto the truck.
- Utilize step-ladders.
- Lift boxes by pushing up with your legs, keeping your back straight, chest forward, and head up.
- Give every employee a check-list to ensure their workstation is ready to go.
- Ensure that every box is properly labelled, especially boxes with sensitive information.
- Reduce your load by recycling and digitizing documents and files.
- Spread out heavy items into separate boxes to more evenly distribute weight.
- Build a master sheet of in-house items and assign numbers to furniture.
- Remember to advise the post office and other services (e.g. cleaning company) of the move.
- Give human resources enough time to file all necessary paperwork.
- Ask employees to pack their own personal/desk items, such as office supplies, plants, pictures, and personal files. We do not ship living items like plants, fish, etc.
- Delegate tasks.
- Reward employees for working weird hours to help you move.
- Leave employees guessing what to do
- Use cheap packing supplies. Do you need professional-grade boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and other moving supplies? We have the solution for you.
- Pack valuable assets into boxes, such as cash, personal disks, etc.
- Stand on swivel chairs to reach high places.
- Forget to take breaks.
- Wear office footwear on moving day. Loafers, high heels, lace-up Oxfords, and ballet flats all fail to offer proper support and grip for moving heavy items.
- Lift boxes that are too heavy or obstruct your view.
- Rush the new floor plan. We can help you maximize your new space. Ask us how!
- Wait too long to hire movers!
Whether you’re a start-up business or a large-scale corporation, relocating your office takes plenty of time and strategic planning in order to prevent a disruption to your daily operations. King’s Transfer Van Lines is well equipped to handle all your office moving needs. From packing to planning to worksite installation to logistics, we’re with you every step of the way to make the big move is a success. Contact our head office today to schedule your office relocation.